heritage child theme for elementor
Welcome to our Elementor support area.
On this page you will find everything you need to install your child theme.
If you haven’t already, join the big friendly Facebook community of like-minded people in The Design Space Lounge where we all share inspiration and expertise, and get help when we’re stuck on something.
If you have any technical problems with installation itself, please do submit a ticket.
INSTALLING & USING ELEMENTOR
In this section we will help you get started with the Elementor parent theme, from installation through finding your way around and getting further information and help. The Elementor documentation is impressive and very easy to follow.
If you haven't used Elementor at all before, we recommend starting right here.
ELEMENTOR DOCUMENTATION & SUPPORT FORUMS
Elementor has comprehensive Elementor Documentation, with sections on Basics, Settings, Theme Library, Theme and Module Customizers and Additional Features.
If you don't find what you need there, check out their Elementor Support Forum in the members area, where you can open a ticket if you haven't find the answer you're looking for.
Keep an eye on the Elementor blog with its Elementor Resources tag.
There is also the very fabulous Elementor Theme Users Facebook group which you can join to see and take part in knowledge sharing and discussion.
INSTALLING ELEMENTOR & ELEMENTOR PRO
- If you haven't used Elementor before we highly recommend you watch this video by Elementor, which introduces the editing screen, the Elementor Panel and how you can use widgets to add elements to your pages. The video also covers loading templates and how pages are divided into sections, columns and widgets, helping you understand the basic principles of the Elementor page builder.
- Working with the Elementor Page Builder is impressively intuitive, so you may well find you can just get stuck in and learn as you go, but if you would like a little more guidance then the Elementor First Steps section of the Elementor Documentation area has excellent walkthroughs that will give you a thorough overview.
INSTALLING YOUR CHILD THEME USING THE INSTALLER PLUGIN
Note: Because the demo data includes all of those things, please check the boxes to indicate which parts of the demo site you wish to install.
1. GET THE DOWNLOAD AND UNZIP IT
- Your download can be found in your Account Area under Downloads. Click DOWNLOAD and the zip file will download to your computer.
- The file is called UNZIPME - NAME OF YOUR THEME KIT.zip. Use your computer's search function with your template name if you don't know where it went, but it's probably in your Downloads area.
- Now unzip the file - as you can see from the name we have given to the download file, this is a step that is often missed in the excitement.
To unzip on a Mac it's Right click > Open or double click. On a PC Right click > Extract. Some computers are set to auto unzip on download, in which case jump straight to look at your files.
Inside the unzipped folder, you will find the installable theme zip file (name of your theme-installer.zip) , an instructions file that links to this area and any additional plugins and design files included with your product.
2. UPLOAD THE THEME INSTALLER PLUGIN TO THE PLUGINS AREA
If you have previously purchased themes from the The Design Space Co this next step will be very different to how you have installed your themes in the past. Your new theme is no longer uploaded as a theme but now as a plugin.
- In the dashboard area of your website, hover over the Plugins item in the left hand menu then select Add New.
- There may be a slight delay as the plugin is uploaded but once the process has finished you will be presented with the below screen. Click on the Activate Plugin button.
- On activating the plugin a new menu item called name of your theme Installer will be added towards the bottom of the left hand dashboard menu. Click on it to continue to the next theme setup step.
- The below screen should now appear which allows you to choose what data and templates you would like to include in your installation. Click on the toggles to turn options on and off as you work down the screen. If you are not sure just leave all the toggle options as they are and keep scrolling until you reach the bottom of the page.
- When you are happy with all your toggle settings and get to the bottom of the page, click on the Begin Site Import! button to move to the next stage of the installation.
FONTS, PLUGINS & INSTAGRAM
Visit our demo site here.
The Instagram feed is created using the free plugin, Instagram Feed by Smash Balloon which you were prompted to load during the install process.
You can connect your Instagram account in the plugin settings.
See the plugins section below for a tutorial.
HERITAGE THEME video WALKTHROUGH
ELEMENTOR KEY AREAS
GLOBAL SITE SETTINGS - FONTS & COLOURS
Your theme will come with all these global colours and fonts set up ready for you to make any changes you wish but please note in order to access them you need to be editing a page.
Here is the official link to the Elementor training on Global Colours and Fonts, but we've also made you a short video to show you have to use the theme builder with our themes.
THE ELEMENTOR THEME BUILDER
The Elementor Theme Builder allows you to quickly create and edit key parts of your site including header, footer and category archive pages.
Here is the official link to the Elementor training on the Theme Builder, but we've also made you a short video to show you have to use the theme builder with our themes.
USING & RE-USING TEMPLATES
Please see below for a video on the powerful templates feature of Elementor and how you can introduce both stand alone and global templates in your site.
THEME INSTALL FAILED MESSAGE OR MISSING STYLE.CSS
If you're seeing this Theme Install Failed message check which .zip file you tried to upload. In this example I've tried to upload the UNIZIPME!.zip.
What I should have done is unpacked the download, where I would find the Flora-Installer-Plugin.zip, which is the one to choose when uploading your theme for installation.
Please also note if you see the error message Theme is missing the style.css stylesheet, this will be because you are trying to install the theme as as theme not as plugin. This theme needs to be installed as a plugin.
I CAN'T CHANGE THE HEADER OR FOOTER
MY THEME BUILDER TEMPLATES AREN'T WORKING
OUR FAVOURITE WORDPRESS PLUGINS
We know it can be daunting to take the first steps towards making a template your own, especially if you're not overly familiar with using WordPress. We've included the areas we find most people want help with when starting out with personalising their site.
SMASH BALLOON INSTAGRAM FEED
With Instagram growing evermore popular it's never been more important to have your Instagram feed connected to your website. Here at The Design Space Co we recommend a plugin called Smash Balloon. It's easy to use easy to set up and free. Watch the video below from Melissa on how to set it up for your own website.
WooCommerce is a wonderfully powerful and easy to use plugin which makes adding a shop to your website very straightforward. Please view our blog article here on how to use Divi and WooCommerce together, a comprehensive overview of this powerful plugin.
We also offer a free mini course which shows you how to get an online store up and running quickly and it includes free theme builder layouts for all areas of WooCommerce. You can sign up for free here.
Further resources are available at the main WooCommerce site here.
We aim to offer high quality support to our customers every step of the way. If you have noticed an error on this page - maybe something that has gone out of date due to upgrades, or a typo - please let us know so that we can continue to be the best we can.